What Is "Slugging" Skin Care Trend? Does It Really Work?
Put in simple words, "Slugging" is a K-Beauty skincare trend which is basically an intense form of moisturizing by covering your face liberally in a layer of petroleum jelly (we are thinking Vaseline) during the last step of the night time skin care routine. This does not only moisturize your skin, but also helps lock in other skin care products applied earlier so they can all work their magic.
The word “slugging” comes from the thought that after you cover your skin in a petroleum jelly, your face ends up looking shiny and slimy, kinda like a slug!
What are the benefits of slugging?
If there is one key benefit of this viral trend (thanks to reddit, Instagram & TikTok), it is hydration, hydration and more hydration! American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) suggest that petroleum jelly can help relieve dry skin by providing moisture. Keeping your skin hydrated ultimately helps achieving a more youthful-looking, glowy, and bouncy skin. In other words, slugging can help repair the damage by creating a moist environment that allows your skin barrier to slowly heal and rebuild itself. This is especially helpful if you are surrounded by cold, less humid weather conditions that tend to leave your skin feeling dry, itchy and tight.
But you may be wondering, isn't it bad to put petroleum-based jelly on your face? The answer is, not necessarily! so long as you cleanse the petroleum jelly off properly in the morning (a bit of cleanser and water is all it takes), applying it onto your face as part of your skin care routine is totally okay. In fact, the AAD suggest that petroleum jelly can even be used to soothe dry lips and eyelids and can as well replace your moisturizer.
Also, skin care petroleum jelly products are created from refined petrolatum, and are understood to be safe and beneficial for the skin. The beauty of petrolatum is that for it to be cleared to use on your skin it is super refined and really free from harmful ingredients.
How does slugging work?
Now that we have familiarized ourselves with the slugging, how can we add this trend our our skincare routine. It’s quit easy. Just follow the steps below for a full skin care routine.
- Start by Cleansing Your Face: Remove any makeup or impurities using a face cleanser like Pacifica Sea Foam Complete Face Wash
- Applying a Serum: Slugging is all about layering on the hydration. So, pat on a moisturizing serum, like hyaluronic acid, to quench your skin. Give Timeless Skin Care Hyaluronic Acid Serum 100% Pure a try.
- Then, Apply a Moisturizer: Or take it a step further by using an overnight mask to provide your skin with intense hydration or if your skin is dry. Try Teami Blends Overnight Sleep Mask, Acure Hydrating Overnight Dream Cream or Pacifica Beauty Wake Up Beautiful Mask
- Finish by Layering On a Petroleum Jelly: Now, for the moment you’ve been waiting for: petroleum jelly. Grab a jar and apply an even layer to your skin. Don't worry if you end up looking slimy and shiny, that’s the goal! Let the wonder of slugging work its magic while you rest throughout the night. Just remember, If you use a silk pillowcase like Silvi Anti-Acne Silk Pillowcase, consider going without on nights you plan on doing the slugging skin care routine since petroleum jelly could temporarily stain the fabric.
- Rise (or should we say Rinse) & Shine: In the morning, wash your face to remove the petroleum jelly with your regular face wash like Blume Daydreamer Face Wash or Ursa Major Fantastic Face Wash which comes with a bonus refreshing aroma. Now reveal you beautiful, glowing skin!
How often should I slug?
There are no rules here, just listen to your skin to determine what makes sense for you. If your skin is on the drier side, you may benefit from slugging on the daily. But if your skin is more oily, may not want to do it often or save doing it only for during the colder months.
Lukas, E. (2022, February 11). “Slugging” Is TikTok’s Favorite Cheap Skincare Hack for Ridiculously Soft Skin. InStyle. Retrieved March 12, 2022, from https://www.instyle.com/beauty/skin/slugging-skincare-trend
METZGER, C. (2021, June 22). What Is Slugging? The Skincare Hack That Fixed My Damaged Skin. Cosmopolitan. Retrieved March 12, 2022, from https://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/a36744352/slugging-skincare/
Nussbaum, R. (2022, January 28). I Tried ‘Slugging’ Skin Care, and My Face Has Never Been Softer. Glamour. Retrieved March 12, 2022, from https://www.glamour.com/story/slugging-reddit-skin-care
Slugging Is The Latest Skin Care Trend—Here’s What You Need To Know. (n.d.). L’oreal Paris. Retrieved March 12, 2022, from https://www.lorealparisusa.com/beauty-magazine/skin-care/skin-care-essentials/slugging#:~:text=Essentially%2C%20slugging%20involves%20slathering%20your,they%20can%20work%20their%20magic.