MineTan Tanning Tips For Picture Perfect Finish Every Time
Whether you’re applying a self tan in the comfort of your own home or going to a salon for a professional tan, the secret to perfect tan results that are even and long lasting lies in what you do before & after tanning. Here are some key tips from MineTan for preparing your skin for a tan, looking after it while it develops & what to do to maintain your results in the days following.
- Exfoliate and moisturize 24 hours before you apply your self tan, paying particular attention to elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry areas.
- Wax or shave at least 48 hours prior to treatment. This allows the pores time to close. This will help avoid dark dots in your pores!
- For the entire 24 hours before you apply your self tan avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products, oil based products or in-shower moisturizers. These products may act as a barrier against your skin and can prevent the fast acting tanning agents to develop.
- Before applying your self tan, make sure your skin is clean and dry. Keep in mind that too much moisture causes tanning products to slide right off the skin. Don’t apply moisturizing lotion except in light amounts on your knees and elbows — the areas where tanner generally absorbs too much. This helps stop these areas from getting too dark.
- Don’t apply moisturiser, perfume, deodorant or makeup on the day of application. This may cause discoloration or a patchy tan result that won’t last as long.
- If you’re going to a salon, ensure you follow the above tips as well as bringing along loose clothing to put on after your appointment.
Tan application checklist
- You should always apply a self tan foam or lotion with a mitt to ensure blended, even coverage as well as to protect your hands from absorbing too much product. You can also use a mitt to even out & blend a tanning spray or mist.
- If using a foam or lotion, apply in circular motions to your skin starting from the legs and working your way up.
- If using a Bronze Babe Spray Tan Kit, hold the machine upright and 10-15 cm away from the skin spraying in downward motions on each part of your body starting from the legs making your way up.
- Use minimal product on drier/problem/sensitive areas like your face, elbows, hands, knees and feet. You can also apply moisturizer to these areas before tanning to create a light barrier so they absorb less product in the dry spots to avoid tan build up.
Post tan checklist
- After letting the tan develop for 1-3+ hours, shower quickly for 45 secs, with lukewarm water. The brown bronzers will wash away, while the fast tan actives continue to work and deepen over the next 24 hours. Do not use hot water - it stops the development of tan actives during the development time. This is a common mistake people make, especially in the colder months. Once you shower, you can wear your favorite clothes, go out of the house and definitely not stain the bed sheets.
- Use plain water, don’t use shower gels, scrubs, shampoos or loofah during the first 24 hours after your treatment.
- Pat your skin dry. Do not rub or scrub your skin.
- Moisturize everyday after applying your self tan. Using a gradual tan product will keep your skin hydrated while also topping up the color of your tan for longer lasting results.
- After day 5, exfoliate with a soft body polish on a daily basis, to help your skin absorb even more moisturizer and keep it looking and feeling gorgeous. This also helps the tan fade naturally, rather than in patches.
Selecting the perfect skin finish
Tanning begins with you. We believe your tan should be just as unique as you are. One shade does not fit all. Tanning is so much more than light, medium and dark. With MineTan you can customize your bronze glow based on your skin type, tone and desired skin finish.
TRUE BRONZE TONES
The perfect place to start on your MineTan journey. Choose your color depth from traditional bronze tones in 3 options - Medium Dark, Double Dark and Ultra Dark. It’s tanning made easy. Each feature our advanced Triple Action formula with a unique blend of tanning actives for extended long lasting results with all in as little as one hour.
Color Correcting Tans:
YOUR PERFECT COLOR MATCH
Much like hair color and cosmetics, color base tans contain a unique set of bronzers to generate different tones of brown and skin-true shades. So you can customize your bronze glow based on your skin type, tone and desired skin finish. All our color base tans suit all skin types and will always look natural to your skin tone.
ENRICHED WITH THE FINEST SKIN LOVING INGREDIENTS
Expanding out from color into more specific skin needs, our range of tanning treatments are designed each with a different function in mind. From different levels of hydration to sweat-proof to the darkest of all ultra dark tans, we are here to take your tanning experience to the next level.