We often talk about serums acting like a vitamin boost to your skin. Many products can be introduced into any skin care regimen, but one of the most commonly asked questions by our customers about Timeless Skin Care is why and how to layer your skincare products.
According to many skincare specialists, the best rule of thumb is to apply the most active ingredients first, in order to maximize their absorption. Generally, these are water-based or lightweight products properly formulated to penetrate the skin, followed by heavier weight products that seal in moisture and sit on top of the skin.
Just like there are optimal times in the day to eat certain types of food, such as a glass of hot water and lemon in the morning to re-hydrate your body and energize the digestive system, or eating protein at lunch to sustain your energy through the rest of the day, it’s also important to know the optimal times to use certain skincare products. When and how should you apply them?
In the morning, wake up your face with warm water and a gentle cleanser if you feel you need it.
Steps to layering in the AM:
- A toner can help balance the skin to the proper pH level. Also, a water based-product, like the Timeless HA Spray, is a great way to refresh and prep the skin for the next step.
- Apply a Serum, which is super concentrated and nutrient dense to address specific skin concerns, such as the naturally sourced antioxidant CoEnzyme Q10 Serum and 20% Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid.
- Eye cream should ideally be applied twice daily, in the AM use Timeless Hydrating Eye Cream to improve the delicate area, plumping and smoothing fine lines.
- Add in Hyaluronic Acid Serum to your moisturizer, to seal and protect your face for the day. Try pressing a small amount of Squalane to help serve as a natural primer before your makeup routine.
- SPF should be the very last product to go on your face to protect it for the day.
In the evening, we’re told to generally eat less as time goes on, not too much heavy protein or carbohydrates before bed, not too many sweets, alcohol or caffeine that can disrupt sleep patterns. If you’re looking to fill the void from all this deprivation, just look to your skin care products and feel free to layer it on! At night, you want to use the most active, effective ingredients since your body goes into repair mode and can regenerate up to three times faster than during the day.
Use an oil-based makeup remover to gently wipe away beauty products, then apply a cleanser to thoroughly wash off any residue and pollutants that accumulated on your skin throughout the day. Feel free to ‘double cleanse’!
Steps to layering in the PM:
- Toner if you feel you need it, again to balance the skin’s pH levels and help address skin concerns.
- A Serum with the most active ingredients first, this is the best time to use a retinol or potent age-fighting serum such as Timeless Matrixyl 3000 or Matrixyl Synthe 6 serums to rebuild collagen, or target blemishes and inflammation with Vitamin B5 serum.
- Wait a few minutes before applying up to two more Timeless HA serums to your face, allowing time for each to absorb fully.
*Did you know that certain active ingredients should never be blended together, or used on the face at the same time?
NO Vitamin C & Retinols
YES Timeless B5 Serum & Vitamin C Serum
YES Hyaluronic Acid PURE followed by either Squalane OR Argan Oil recommended
4. Apply an Eye Cream to help firm, lift and rejuvenate the eye area, such as Timeless Dark Circle Eye Cream.
5. Now is the time to really use a heavy-hitting night time moisturizer, as well as one for the neck and decollate, hands, feet, etc. Argan Oil is great for the whole body, packed with omega fatty acids and Vitamin E!
*Source: Timeless Skin Care